Ryan Avery joined MIRAGEAS & AVERY in 2012, where he works to resolve real estate, construction and employment disputes on behalf of both individual and corporate clients. Ryan has litigated numerous actions for breach of contract, unpaid wages, discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. He is also regularly called upon to draft and review executive employment contracts, non-competition agreements, separation agreements and personnel manuals for clients.
In addition to overseeing most of the firm’s labor and employment litigation, Ryan represents developers, contractors, material suppliers and homeowners in a wide range of construction and real estate litigation matters including claims for defective and dangerous building conditions, time and cost overruns, lien and bond claims, land use/title disputes and zoning/permitting appeals.
Ryan has successfully tried both civil and criminal cases to verdict in the courts of Massachusetts. He has also participated in successful mediation, conciliation and arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association, the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, and other dispute resolution agencies.
Ryan is well-versed in Massachusetts administrative procedure, and has successfully represented clients before a variety of state agencies, including the Department of Environmental Protection, the State Retirement Board, the Division of Unemployment Assistance, the Division of Administrative Law Appeals, and the Division of Public Licensure. He is an appointed member of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers’ Pro Bono/Reduced Fee Panel, which represents fellow members of the state bar in disciplinary proceedings initiated by the Office of Bar Counsel.
In 2020, Ryan was appointed as a Special Prosecutor for the Middle District (Worcester County) by District Attorney Joseph D. Early, Jr. He has served on the Executive Committee of the Worcester County Bar Association since 2017.
Ryan lives in Charlton with his wife Sarah and son Thomas.
- Massachusetts (2010)
- New York (2010)
- Rhode Island (2014)
- U.S. District Court (D-Mass.) (2012)
- U.S. Federal Court of Claims (2016)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Mock Trial Competition Judge
- Worcester County Tiered Mentoring Program
- Real Estate Section Councilmember
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association
- Executive Committee Member
- Chair, Superior Court Committee
- Former Chair, Labor and Employment Committee
- District Court Conciliator
- Milford Bar Association
- Former Treasurer and Secretary
Community and Volunteer Associations
- Vice Chairman, Town of Oxford Zoning Board of Appeals (2014 – 2019)
- Chairman, Town of Oxford Town Manager Selection Committee (2018)
- Town of Milford Industrial Development Commission (2017 – 2019)
- Town of Oxford Branding and Wayfaring Committee (2019)
- Alternatives Unlimited, Inc. (now Open Sky Community Services)
- Volunteer Member, Milford Advisory Council (2016 – 2018)
- Volunteer Member, Club 21 (2014 – 2018)
Honors and Awards
- Thomson Reuters SuperLawyer (2019, 2020)
- Worcester County Bar Association President’s Award (2020)
- B.A., International Studies, magna cum laude, American University, 2007
- Presidential Scholarship
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 2010
- Transnational Law Review
E-mail: [email protected]