Ryan Avery joined MIRAGEAS & AVERY, LLC in 2012, and works to resolve various labor and employment disputes on behalf of both individual and corporate clients. Attorney Avery has litigated numerous actions for breach of contract, unpaid wages, discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination in both state and federal court. In addition, he has participated in successful mediation and arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, and other dispute resolution agencies. Attorney Avery is regularly called upon to draft and review executive employment contracts, non-competition agreements, separation agreements and personnel manuals for his individual and corporate clients.
In addition to overseeing most of the firm’s employment litigation, Attorney Avery also represents clients in a wide range of construction and real estate litigation matters including claims for defective and dangerous building conditions, time and cost overruns, lien and bond claims, land use/title disputes and zoning/permitting appeals.
Attorney Avery is well-versed in Massachusetts administrative procedure and has successfully represented clients before a variety of state agencies, including the Department of Environmental Protection, the State Retirement Board, the Division of Unemployment Assistance, the Division of Administrative Law Appeals, and the Division of Public Licensure. He is an appointed member of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers’ Pro Bono/Reduced Fee Panel, which represents fellow members of the state bar in disciplinary proceedings initiated by the Office of Bar Counsel.
Ryan lives in Oxford, Massachusetts with his wife Sarah, and has served on the Town’s Zoning Board of Appeals since 2014.
- B.A., International Studies, magna cum laude, American University, 2007
- Presidential Scholarship
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 2010
- Transnational Law Review
- New York
- Rhode Island
- U.S. District Court (D-Mass.)
- U.S. Federal Court of Claims
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Mock Trial Competition Judge
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association
- Executive Committee Member
- Former Chair, Labor and Employment Committee
- Milford Bar Association
- Treasurer and Former Secretary
Community and Volunteer Associations
- Vice Chairman, Town of Oxford, Zoning Board of Appeals
- Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers
- Pro Bono/Reduced Fee Representation Panel
- Town of Milford Industrial Development Commission
- Alternatives Unlimited, Inc.
- Volunteer Member, Milford Advisory Council
- Volunteer Member, Club 21
- Evaluating OT Policies in Anticipation of FLSA Overhaul, Massachusetts Lawyers
Weekly (August 7, 2014).
- Note, “Fair Shake or an Offer They Can’t Refuse? The Protection of Cooperating
Alien Witnesses Under United States Law,” 33 Suffolk Transnat’l L. Rev. 347
E-mail: [email protected]