Ryan Avery joined MIRAGEAS & AVERY, LLC in 2012, where he works to resolve real estate, construction and employment disputes on behalf of both individual and corporate clients. Ryan has litigated numerous actions for breach of contract, unpaid wages, discrimination, retaliation, and wrongful termination in the state and federal courts of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. He is also regularly called upon to draft and review executive employment contracts, non-competition agreements, separation agreements and personnel manuals for clients.
In addition to overseeing most of the firm’s labor and employment litigation, Ryan represents developers, contractors, material suppliers and homeowners in a wide range of construction and real estate litigation matters including claims for defective and dangerous building conditions, time and cost overruns, lien and bond claims, land use/title disputes and zoning/permitting appeals.
Ryan has successfully tried both civil and criminal cases to verdict in the courts of Massachusetts. He has also participated in successful mediation, conciliation and arbitration proceedings before the American Arbitration Association, the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination, and other dispute resolution agencies.
Ryan is well-versed in Massachusetts administrative procedure and has successfully represented clients before a variety of state agencies, including the Department of Environmental Protection, the State Retirement Board, the Division of Unemployment Assistance, the Division of Administrative Law Appeals, and the Division of Public Licensure. He is an appointed member of the Massachusetts Board of Bar Overseers’ Pro Bono/Reduced Fee Panel, which represents fellow members of the state bar in disciplinary proceedings initiated by the Office of Bar Counsel.
Ryan lives in Oxford, Massachusetts with his wife Sarah, and has served on the Town’s Zoning Board of Appeals since 2014.
- Massachusetts (2010)
- New York (2010)
- Rhode Island (2014)
- U.S. District Court (D-Mass.) (2012)
- U.S. Federal Court of Claims (2016)
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- Mock Trial Competition Judge
- Worcester County Tiered Mentoring Program
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Worcester County Bar Association
- Executive Committee Member
- Former Chair, Labor and Employment Committee
- District Court Conciliation Program
- Milford Bar Association
- Treasurer and Former Secretary
Community and Volunteer Associations
- Chairman, Town of Oxford Town Manager Selection Committee (2018)
- Vice Chairman, Town of Oxford Zoning Board of Appeals
- Town of Milford Industrial Development Commission
- Town of Oxford Branding and Wayfaring Committee (2019)
- Alternatives Unlimited, Inc. (now Open Sky Community Services)
- Volunteer Member, Milford Advisory Council (2016-2018)
- Volunteer Member, Club 21 (2014 – 2018)
- Evaluating OT Policies in Anticipation of FLSA Overhaul, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (Aug. 7, 2014)
- Fair Shake or an Offer They Can’t Refuse? The Protection of Cooperating Alien Witnesses Under United States Law, 33 Suffolk Transnational Law Review 347 (2010)
- B.A., International Studies, magna cum laude, American University, 2007
- Presidential Scholarship
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 2010
- Transnational Law Review
E-mail: [email protected]